I’ve been to Eire, and I like a Guinness beer each every so often. Within the Emerald Isle, a wealthy, savory Guinness stew—made with greens, beer, beef, and mashed potatoes—is widespread pub meals. I funneled that Irish inspiration into a very plant-based (vegan) model that includes tempeh and a great deal of veggies. It’s a simple, one-dish meal that’s pure consolation meals bliss. All it’s a must to do to make this Vegan Guinness Stew is to create a thick vegetable stew with carrots, onions, celery, peas, and tempeh—with a tomato and Guinness beer broth. Place the stew within the backside of a baking or casserole dish. Then mash up some potatoes shortly to “frost” the highest of the stew. Pop it into the oven to get all golden brown and melty, and you’ve got a superb one-dish meal on the desk very quickly.
Simply pair this dish with a cabbage salad and also you’re set to go to your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, or a easy one-dish meal any evening of the week. In its place, you can also make particular person small “pies” of this stew by dividing the stew and mashed potatoes amongst 4 oven-proof soup bowls or soufflé dishes. That is an absolute favourite dish in my family. My boys adore it, as they did on their first journey to Eire years in the past. In the event you’d like to vary up the components a bit, you’ll be able to attempt heirloom carrots in yellow or purple for an added little bit of colour, and zucchini or broccoli as an alternative of the peas.
Tempeh is a superb plant-based protein created from fermented soy and grain—it’s tremendous straightforward to simply cube and throw into casseroles, resembling this dish. You will discover it at most supermarkets. If you wish to skip tempeh, you’ll be able to merely substitute it with diced tofu or one canned of beans, resembling chickpeas, kidneys, or white beans.
Comply with together with the step-by-step instructions for making this Vegan Guinness Stew recipe under.
Watch me make this recipe in my Instagram TV Plant-Based mostly Cooking Present right here.
This plant-based pub meals is a vegan tackle the basic Guinness Stew served in Eire. Stuffed with a tempeh, vegetable, Guinness beer stew, and topped with mashed potatoes, it’s the proper dish for St. Patty’s Day or a simple weeknight dinner!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 8 ounces tempeh, cubed
- 1 cup frozen inexperienced peas
- 1 12-ounce bottle Guinness Additional Stout beer*
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons contemporary parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried), plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- Salt and pepper to style (non-obligatory)
- 4 small potatoes (about 6ounces every), peeled, quartered
- ¼ – 1/2 cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine
- Salt and pepper to style (non-obligatory)
- 2 tablespoons chopped contemporary parsley
- To make stew: Warmth oil in a a medium pot. Add onions, carrots, celery, tempeh, and peas, and sauté over medium warmth for 8 minutes.
- Add beer, vegetable broth, thyme, parsley, and tomato paste; cowl, and prepare dinner over medium warmth for about 15-20 minutes, till greens are simply tender, stirring often.
- Stir flour into 1/4 cup plant-based milk in a small dish till easy. Pour into stew, and stir for a further jiffy, till stew is thick. Might add further water to interchange moisture misplaced to evaporation—texture needs to be moist, and thick.
- Season stew with salt and pepper as desired.
- Whereas stew is cooking, put together mashed potatoes: Place potatoes in a medium pot, cowl with water, and canopy with a lid. Boil over medium warmth for about half-hour, simply till tender however agency.
- Drain water, and mash potatoes with a potato masher, including simply sufficient plant-based milk to make a creamy texture. Add dairy-free margarine, and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Pour stew right into a medium (about 1 1/2 quart), deep casserole dish. High with mashed potatoes, smoothing over floor of stew.
- Place in oven, uncovered, and prepare dinner for about quarter-hour, till barely golden on prime.
- Take away from oven and garnish with chopped parsley.
*Whereas Guinness doesn’t include animal merchandise within the ingredient listing, some (from Dublin) could use isinglass (created from fish merchandise), which can be used within the clarification strategy of the product. Nevertheless, Guinness Additional Stout brewed and bottled in North America doesn’t use isinglass. Learn these articles from Huffpost and Chicago Tribune for extra info.
To make this recipe gluten-free use gluten-free tempeh, gluten-free darkish beer, and cornstarch as an alternative of flour.
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Prepare dinner Time: 1 hour quarter-hour
- Class: Dinner
- Delicacies: Irish
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 395
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 657 mg
- Fats: 6 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 73 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 15 g
Key phrases: beer, stew, Guinness stew
Attempt a few of my different basic one-dish, plant-based meals, together with: